Martha Hearn(s)

PCOM 1/39

Martha Vico was convicted for larceny at the old central criminal court on 2nd January 1839 in front of the third jury and Mr Sergeant Arabin. She stole a watch valued at one pound five shillings, a purse valued sixpence and two shillings, the goods and monies of William Leighton in Edgware.

Her husband William was a blacksmith.  She also had 12 months on the town. Her gaol report mentioned poor connexions, surgeon report was extremely insolent.

She was 5 feet 1 inch with ruddy complexion, high forehead and round head, with medium nose and mouth, hazel eyes, black eyebrows and brown hair.

She arrived on the Hindostan on 12 Sept 1839.

25 Sept 39 – She was moved on the government brig Tamar on her way to Launceston. She was given 12 days solitary confinement on bread and water for gross misconduct in going into the mens berths

26 Dec 1839 – drunk and disorderly in company with a man in back of a house in York Street – 2 months hard labour in the crime class in Female House of Corrections Launceston

18 April 1840 – absent without leave 14 days in cells on bread and water.

27 November 1840 – absent without leave – admonished

31 Dec 1840 – insolence to the chief district constable 12 months hard labour House of Corrections Launceston

Ticket of leave 4 Nov 1845

Free by servitude 31 December 1848

Certificate of freedom 2 Feb 1849

STOP PRESS    UPDATE       STOP PRESS     UPDATE

This is one relative I need to do some more research on. If I check the female convicts database, there might be more info there regarding the ??? marks in the above report.

OK Have now updated according to information in the database of female convicts.

3 thoughts on “Martha Hearn(s)

1. Oh my goodness what a story that is. It must have been hard on Martha for having such a rough time with her drinking, being poor, but just having to steal or take whatever she felt was her’s to take. Hello my name is Zachary Alan(middle name) and I don’t think we have ever talked before and I am hearing so much good things about you from Mrs.Hoke. I would love to talk with you some time Miss Waters. I think it would be nice to get to know you finally. 🙂 -sincerely Zachary

• G’day Zachary,
      This is Miss Wyatt here. Yeah, I have some unusual characters in my family history. Have you ever done any research into your family background?

PS Thanks for being the first person to leave a comment on this new blog that is only a couple of days old.

• Oh I’m sorry I meant Wyatt, there is just to Miss W’s that she talks about haha. I have never really thought about it but now that you mention it I want to learn about my family backround 🙂 That sounds like fun. And it also sounds like a lot of crazy and interesting things happen in your family Miss W. Your welcome for being the first one. I have never commented on your posts so I thought it would be pretty cool what you would say back