Meeting the cousins

If you have been reading my other posts recently, you will know that I have been in touch with some unknown SMITH cousins. Well, yesterday I went to their house for a visit and chat. I was going to do an interview, but then felt maybe just a general get to know each other would be better – maybe organize a more formal interview on particular topics later.

Alanna was the organizer of the records. She has the whole tree on ancestry.com which I will need to check out. She has included all the source information as well as photos. She is in contact with lots of other cousins who I know nothing about.

Glenn was the holder of knowledge. He had some great stories passed down to him mainly from Uncle Jack or Bomber as the family called him. Glenn had met my grandmother, his aunt Rene, quite often and remembered her peroxided hair very well and the fact that she rarely drank which did not sit well with her younger brothers and sisters who enjoyed drinking together.

Glenn had lots of copies of information from books, land plans especially at Cockle Creek and Oyster Cove, had addresses from using electoral rolls and photos from other cousins. He had also collected a lot of information on the whaling ship Marie Laure, which William SMITH had captained or crewed on for many years.

Overall a great afternoon – arrived about 1.45pm when I next looked at my watch it was 5.30pm  Time to head home and ponder the knowledge gained from visiting my now known cousins.

3 thoughts on “Meeting the cousins

1. Hi Sue, I have family member Keith Henry Avery in my tree(who is brickwalling me at present)),and came across your great site.My Avery ancestors trace back to England with first ‘Tasmanian’ Avery being John Avery arriving as convict on Calcutta.
    I haven’t been able to gather much on Keith Henry Avery other than from census he was married twice/divorced once and hit a pedestrian in Hobart accident.Wondering if you had any detail on him from your 160 Goulburn St investigations?Ellen Sarah Avery (Goldsmith)was married to Robert Avery and Keith was their son.Cheers Peter Ghent.Melbourne.

• Hi Peter,
      We used to call him uncle Harry as he was considered my dad’s foster father. We used to visit him often and he would come to all our birthday parties.