Congratulations Di and Joan

Dianne Snowden signing books today
Dianne Snowden signing books today

This afternoon I attended a book launch at the Cascades Female Factory. Over 150 people were there to congratulate Dr Dianne Snowden and Joan Kavanagh on their joint authorship of the book titled

Van Diemen’s Women – a History of Transportation to Tasmania

Dianne and Joan had already launched the book in Ireland last month at the County Gaol in Wicklow which I visited when I was travelling last year.

Kate Warner (Governor of Tasmania), Joan Kavanagh and Dianne Snowden (authors of the book)

The book was launched here in Tasmania for a second time by Her Excellency the Professor Kate Warner, Governor of Tasmania. Speeches were also given by Dianne and Joan with her lovely Irish accent.

Cake cut by descendants of convict women on this boat.

A cake was cut by two descendants of women who were transported on the convict ship Tasmania 2 and who were mentioned in the book.

Despite the rain, it was a great afternoon with a marvellous afternoon tea eaten under lots of umbrellas.

One thought on “Congratulations Di and Joan

1. Thank you so much for sharing this – it sounds like a book I will read so will look for a copy soon. Great to see Dr Snowden in the picture, I did enjoy her guidance on the course last summer. My husband’s GG Grandmother was sent to the Cascade Women’s Factory on arrival from Ireland and she was sent back there after being AWOL for one day. She was an amazing woman who despite the horrors of her life managed to bare and raise a large family. Much to be admired among these women. Regards Gill