Why was Martha sent to VDL?

So I have now used records to prove Martha was a convict sent to VDL in 1839. I also know what she looks like and that she was 23 when she arrived here. But what could a young 23 year old woman have done to be transported to VDL?

Looks like the Indent list might give me some answers. Back to the Tasmanian Names index, put in Vircoe, Martha, click on the image in front of convicts and now click on indent list remembering to jot down that reference for the source.

TAHO, CON15/1/9, indent list for Martha Vircoe

Time again for my readers to give me some help: Can you transcribe her indent list record? I have included the link further up the post if you want to go to the record online to get more help.

vico15 vico16

13 thoughts on “Why was Martha sent to VDL?

1. Hi Sue had a go at deciphering your indenture record for
    Martha Virco.
    Hindastan 11 sept 1839
    Central C Court
    Trasnsported for larcency from the first — report poor–
    surgeon. Report egstremly– — states this officer.
    Stealing a watch from the — — at Canterbury.
    Married? warried? husband? William B — NP 12 — in the town.
    Sept 25 1839 — Brig Tumar on her way to Launcry/ gross misconduct in going in to the men’s building. 14 days solitary? conf on — signature.
    Dec 20 1839 afternoon drunk and disorderly and in company with a man. Plucked from a horse in York street. ——— —– —- —- Launceston.
    April 31st 1840 — absent without leave 14 days.
    Dec 31st 1840 — in — c county – 12 months hard labour.
    27 Nov 1840 — without leave — admonished – signature . Launceston TL 1/1/40? – 4.11.45?

Hope some of this helps. Marg (eyes sore tonight)
    ps if you can save it to your computer and enlarge it is easier. then don’t study it with magnifier just try to read to see if it makes sense. I found a Zoom on the actual record but don’t know how I did it -sorry.

• Hi Marg,
      You are ahead of us. This is going to be the next post – you have transcribed the conduct record instead of the indent list. But I might use yours for others to fill in when I get the next post written, if that is OK by you.

• Hi guys tried to see if ‘Brig Tumar’ was a Brigadier Tumar or a Brigantine sailing vessel with 2 square rigged masts on google; to help make sense of our record but to no avail.
      Found C C Court was central county court where Martha was tried.

2. Hi Sue have been playing a bit more. Printed copy of the Indent paper from your blogg. then scanned to photos on my computer. then transferred to windows and played with photo colour contrast and brightness. Got first line to come up very clear : transported for receiving stolen money. Sorry can’t do more tonight. but that bit was so clear on new copy.Not larcency as I first thought.
    See what the others can come up with. You will get it
    Regards Marg

• Moral of story do not work when tired. Entry about stolen money belonged to convict above.
      SORRY SUE – can delete this entry if want.
      No wonder it was so clear.

3. Hi Sue having such fun. Went to your indent list. Will not spoil fun for others. But ask google-. See what happens.
    Couldn’t see the sense in doing crosswords but think nine letter word starting with “E’ and voila. Now I can make up a game for my five year old Grandie Maria who wants to be a Spy. (After learning about the war for Anzac Day)
    Regards to All Marg

4. Hi Sue I know I have made a lot of comments here but just wanted to share what I have discovered. It is Useful.
    Googled: how to read historic handwriting
    Recommend two sites: http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/palaeography/

excellent examples of how to decipher and some very interesting ‘old text’ symbol abbreviations which will help in your document.

Also some about maths , numbers etc.

http://www.amberskyline.com/treasuremaps/oldhand.html

Had some very interesting practice handwriting tasks and fascinating history about writing in time of Mary 1 -Queen of England This will help Regards to all Marg

5. for indent record I think something like the following: Name: Vico Martha; height 5foot 1inch; age 23 years; Trade or calling house maid work at needle; where tried Central Cl Court; when tried 31 Dec 1838; sentance 10 years; Native Place Edfernare (obviously wrong) Married or single Married
    Peg

• Hi Peggy, I came up with same name place as you Edfernare. Try googling Towns in England and Ireland starting with E. Actually comes up with list of towns A-Z!! Then look for nine letters and you find things like Edenberry. even gives you district eg Kent if two towns of similar name. Now we need to consider what else we know about Martha to try to decipher which one is correct.
      Another hint I found was compare single letters in the document that you know are right with the ones we are having trouble with.
      Also need to remember that some towns/areas have a modern day name change eg Ayr Scotland is now Strathclyde. We are making progress. Regards to All Marg

6. Marg and Peggy,
    You two are doing well at transcribing the indent. I will give you more of a clue for the town – Ed ..ware two letters missing.