Intro to Isabella Watkins

Was my great, great, great grandmother truly Isabella Watkins or was she Mary Johnson from Surrey, England?

Was she from Hull as mentioned on her convict description list or maybe it was a mispronunciation and her native place was Hale in Surrey, the county from which she was tried and then transported?[1]

Description list for Isabella Watkins, CON19/1/3, p 45 TAHO

Let us follow her journey by looking at her paper trail from England as a convict, overseas on the transport ship, her freedom from convict life and finally to her resting place nearly 50 years later in Evandale, Tasmania.

Reference

[1] TAHO, CON19/1/3, p 45 Description list Isabella Watkins

Readers: How did you decide to write your story? I created a timeline then thought why not follow like a paper trail.

PS I still need to insert the images correctly with captions but this is how they copy and pasted across direct from Our Family Past.

2 thoughts on “Intro to Isabella Watkins

1. Hi Sue, I decided to write it as a posthumous autobiography. I began with the birth, went onto sentence, transport to NSW, Tickets of Leave, marriage with an introduction to Mary’s husband and then the births of ten children and told of Joseph and Mary’s work and achievements and ended with their deaths whilst including obituary remarks. At the very end I included a photo of Geoffrey Pike who is beside his great grandparents headstones at Kiama Cemetery. Thanks for your help Sue. I got a couple of pictures on.

2. Hi Sue, I know we were told how to add links but I am having great pain with failure after failure can you send me an email to help please? Help from NZ cannot yet be found and I am running out of time same for breakaway articles, Peg