New course – Place, Image, Object

As many of my readers know, I am doing some units in the Diploma of Family History at the University of Tasmania. I have completed two so far and passed both but they were about things I already knew – introduction to family history and convict ancestors.

This third course is a little out of my comfort zone.

But I am going to persevere. There are three assessment tasks:

Place – looking at place within our family history – might be a region, town, room or even a place like a church or desk. I have decided to look at family homes as we have only ever lived in Hobart and its suburbs. I am looking through my photos to find images of the houses and will annotate the map with remembrances including sounds, smells and feelings. Think I will use a technology tool to show my assessment – probably Thinglink. I am certainly not an arty/crafty type person who could make something to represent place.

Image – the assessment for this is a quiz where we have seven multiple choice questions about images – dating them, types of images etc but then we also have to use a quiz lockdown program to actually write responses for 3 more questions for dating images we are given. This is something new and causing concern to many students. I will do the quiz next week as there is still more information on images in the content next week. We can use notes for the quiz but if they are typed up on the internet – eg on my blog as a post, we will be locked out of them.

Object – Still not sure what I will use to write a biography of an object. Maybe the whale teeth scrimshaw from my Uncle Harry – dad’s foster father – or maybe a brooch my mum has that was from her older sister who died around the time of mum’s birth in the 1930’s. But I also have some vases and dishes with the orangey coloured grapevine pattern that I could research or some plates that were given to me by my grandmother on dad’s side of the family.

Readers: Have you decided yet what to use for place and object assessments?

3 thoughts on “New course – Place, Image, Object

1. Hi Sue, I did not register in time and the form would not fill in for some parts. Anyway it will come up again for me no doubt. I do find it weird that uni says we have to pass the last subject before we can do the next one and I had not heard that I have passed so a bit confusing. I hope you do well, as I am sue your confidence will grow as you tackle each segment, Peggy.
    By the way I was surprised that I could access my whole story of a convict by way of internet. Your blog comes up there too not just in email. We were told that so long as we were not putting on the web etc that we did not need to worry about copyright as only uni would see it. Hope no one complains.

2. Peggy,
    If you can access your convict story on the web when you are logged out of OFP, then you must have made it public.

You should not be able to see mine on the OFP site as I left mine private as I was going to copy it to my blog which I have. But I still need to insert the images correctly.

3. Hi Sue,

I’m a bit overwhelmed by the topics in Place, Image Object but I plan to soldier on. I’ve tackled the quiz but I don’t believe I did very well. I’ll have another go in a week or so. Evidently more photography hints will be posted each week. I’ve decided on a particular plot of land in Bellerive for my annotated map as I have a few things I can use with it. I’ve opted for a dining table for my object. It has history and then some.
    Good luck with whatever you choose. Regards, Tricia