About me

My name is Sue and I have been researching my family history for over 40 years. I began by keeping folders of information, drawing family trees by hand on large sheets of newsprint and looking through microfilms in libraries and history centres. I helped organize family reunions to gather more personal information from relatives.

But my research now involves looking at original, digitized newspapers, names index, convict records all found online. My data is held in a database on my home computer as well as online. I still research whenever I visit overseas to UK and Ireland where my ancestors mainly came from back in the 1800’s. Recently DNA testing has also helped me with my research.

Since completing the Diploma of Family History at UTAS in 2017, instead of just collecting names, dates and places, I now look for the stories of my ancestors using newspapers and asking questions of my older relatives. These stories are then published in this blog for future generations to find.

4 thoughts on “About me

1. Hi Sue, I started some family history research in 2008, but since retirement have been able to devote more time to it (although still not enough!!!).
    I am probably fortunate about starting research later than you as I didn’t have to start with manual research and folders etc.
    I love your blog!! A lot of good information including lots of great links.
    I am thinking it might be a great way to spread the family information (with appropriate consent from living family members).
    Did it take long to set it up? How do you start it?
    Thanks
    John

• Hi John,
      Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment.
      Setting up the blog does take a few hours but once the basics are done, it is then time for you to write posts about particular aspects of your family history. Don’t write the whole history in one post, spread it out doing each branch of the tree. If you want any help with the blogging feel free to contact me via the email which is on the sidebar of this blog.

Where to start? Decide which blogging platform to use eg edublogs which has a free version or a pro version that costs about $40 per year; if you have a gmail account then you already have a blog assigned to that email address in blogger.

If you want any help with the blogging feel free to contact me via the email which is on the sidebar of this blog.

• Hi Sue,
        Thanks for your reply.
        I am seriously thinking about using a blog. I do have a gmail address but didn’t realise a blog came with it.
        The course is taking up a lot of time at the moment so I may have to wait until it’s finished before starting the blog.
        I will continue to follow your blog and will email you if I need more assistance, thank you for the offer.
        John

2. Would it be rude of me to say Mammoth amount of reading for the course!!! but am enjoying it.
    No need reply