11 thoughts on “tasemail2-1fswhjn

1. Dear Sue Wyatt,
    As I have just discovered you are the gr gr granddaughter of William Smith of Samoa. I am currently chasing my daughter’s family history and have also discovered William Henry Smith of Samoa is Sarah McMahon’s gr gr gr grandfather and I am wondering if you have found anything more about his parents.

2. William Henry Smith
    1840 – 1913

Birth: Mar 25 1840

Navigator’s Island, Samoa

Occupation: Ships Captain

Hobart Town

Death: Oct 27 1913
    Burial: William and his Sarah Ann and baby Robert, are all buried here together, but unfortunately there isn’t a headstone nor marker just a grassy patch. Section L row 7 Church Of England.

Cornelian Bay Cemetery, Hobart

Marriage: Marriage to: Sarah Ann Smith (born Tedman)
    Sep 30 1874

Burnett Street in Hobart Town.

I also have a picture of William and his wife

3. Hello Suzanne

I am working on Ralston stories. In his journal, Newspaper Clippings (entries c.1876-1898), John Ralston (1850-1908) of Hampden also documents people who offered or carried out work for him, what the work involved, costs, dates, etc, among which stripping and barking on Marathon and Logan (near Evandale, Tasmania).

On Marathon, strippers and barkers include: c,1890 Charlie Davey, Adam Davey 1891-2, Ben Cutler 1894, Ben and Sam Marshman 1894, Charlie 1897, Colgrave 1897, and others. The bark was bagged and weighed, and taken to Launceston, presumably destined for a tannery but John doesn’t actually say. As this was a seasonal operation, contractors were used. Any of these men in the family you researched?

Anntoinette Ralston

4. Hi Sue
    I have done two online courses through utas Writing and Intro I also plan to do more. Sue I love your blog and tips. I’m not sure if this is the the right place to ask Sue , my files are in a mess. I use Family tree maker and binders . It is my binders that are the main problem how do you keep your paper ffiles on families ?Thanks Cheryl Smith

• Hi Cheryl,
      I am also taking part in a genealogy do-over and the first month was about sorting stuff out. I wrote a post on it here http://suewyatt.edublogs.org/2016/01/02/january-do-over/ but I am now putting together folders for each married couple which includes things about their children. Once the child marries they then have their own folder but I haven’t got that far yet. I am concentrating more on the direct line as I am starting to use a new software program and putting data in there only when I have sources that are credible and have verified the data. Forty years of sorting is taking a long time.

• Thanks Sue
        Great idea re folders for married couples. I really need too do this to help my research . Love your blog
        Cheers Cheryl

5. Dear Sue,
    I am researching the history of the Marie Laure and would love to know if you have any other documents pertaining to Captain Smith’s time on board? Do you also know if it is true that he could neither read nor write? I have documents I’d be happy to share,
    Best
    Denise Lombardo

• Hi Denise,
      I think I have a couple of crew lists for the ship while he was on board. Not sure about the read and write but looks like a signature on his application for master mariner certificate that is different to earlier signatures.

• Thanks Sue! I ask because I have read a couple of articles that claim Captain Smith could not read or write – but had developed navigational skills that confounded orthodox mariners! – If you haven’t seen it before check out the article of Australian Historical Society _ Journal and Proceedings (vol xxxix) – available online at google.com. Smith must have looked after the Marie Laure well. She was built in Seychelles in 1840 (that’s where my interest comes in) and ended up serving as a hulk ship on the Yarra river until the late 1940s, making her Australia’s oldest serving vessel. Not enough room here, but I’ll send you other links of interest that I have regarding Captain Smith and photos of the hulk of the Marie Laure.
        Denise