Family History Course

I have just enrolled in an online Family History course run through the University of Tasmania. (Click on image to go to enrolment page)

Our first assessment task is an interview with another family member who might be able to give you more information for your main research project.

So I have to decide who I will interview.

Will it be my Aunt Margaret, my mother’s sister? Both my mum and her sister are alive and often tell me a variety of things about family history especially if there is a photo in front of them. In fact, my aunt has just given me some new photos she found when cleaning out her cupboards. Some I had seen before, others were new especially the one of her father in a running race.

Or will I interview one of my SMITH relatives who I know very little about? My grandmother born a SMITH, didn’t have much to do with her younger siblings so I don’t know much about them and their families or what they have been told about their earlier ancestors like Captain William SMITH from Samoa.

Who do you think I should interview – Aunt Margaret or a SMITH relative?

7 thoughts on “Family History Course

1. Hi Suzanne,

Personally, I would go with the unknown Smiths especially whilst doing this course with access to more help:)

Jenni

2. I would probably be tempted to go with the Smiths as you have the least amount of information about them. It sounds like you have a lot of information. I would also encourage you to make sure that all the information you do have is stored and backed up as I have lost and misplaced information as I did not adequately back it up.
    Regards Jodie

3. I too have a captain to research. I have no idea how he came to Australia as he isn’t listed on any shipping records. It is possible he was captain of the ship he arrived on.

4. I would go with the Smith family too as that is the unknown. I am going to look at my maternal side of the family not the one I always look it as I can interview my mother. Will Se how that goes.