Rebecca Jackson

Rebecca is one of my ‘hard to find out anything about’ convicts. All I know is that her native place was county Donegal in Ireland. She was Presbyterian and could read a little. She was convicted of stealing wearing apparel. It was her first conviction and Sarah STEELE (?) was also on board for the same offence. She was an exemplary convict according to the surgeon’s report.

Her description says she was 5 feet 1 inch tall, age 17, with a fair complexion, large head and mouth, small nose and chin, brown hair and eyebrows, blue eyes, an oval visage and high forehead.

She was tried at Donegal on 1 January 1847 and departed Dublin on the ship Waverley 3 on 19 July 1847. On arrival in Van Diemens Land on 25 October 1847, she was assigned to the ship Anson which was moored in the Derwent River. After 6 months she was given 3rd class status, her ticket of leave on 2 July 1850 and her certificate of freedom 3 January 1854. Marriage to John ENGLAND was approved on 20 September 1854 and they did the deed on 16 October 1854 at St Georges Church, Battery Point, Hobart.

STOP PRESS      UPDATE           STOP PRESS       UPDATE

Since my recent trip to Ireland I have more news about Rebecca. She is no longer labelled ‘hard to find out anything about’.

2 thoughts on “Rebecca Jackson

1. Hi Donna,
    If you check the sidebar where it says TAGS, then click on Rebecca Jackson, you will find many posts about Rebecca and my research for her in Ireland. I have also written a short story based on one aspect of my research.