County Donegal Archives at Lifford

Surely there were records telling me about the court trial ….

I asked the archivist what sort of trial records they might have here. She replied that Petty Session records were here and which would I want to see. Now I wasn’t sure if I wanted Quarter Session or Petty Session records so decided to try the Petty Session just in case there was mention of the Jackson family misdemeanours in them over the few years prior to 1847. But which town or areas records would I look at?  I remembered from the Outrage Papers that A McClintock was a magistrate from the Newtown Cunningham area so said I would try them.

Checked 1 January 1847 and there it was:

Cases in which Mr McClintock acted out of Petty Sessions:

Anne Jackson of Garsney??? and John Craig of Corneamble  a(gainst) William Jackson the Elder and Jane Steel both of Garsney

For that they did at Corneamble on 1 February? 1846 feloniously steal and take away 4 hens value 3/- the property of John Craig

Information taken returnable? to Quarter Sessions at Lifford January 1847

Another case reported:

Anne Jackson of Garsney and Anthony Gallagher of Ruskey? a(gainst) William Jackson the Elder, William Jackson the Younger, Rebecca Jackson, Jane Steele and Mary Jane Gallagher

For that they did at Ruskey on the 1st day of April 1846 feloniously steal and carry away 4 stones of potatoes value 8d the property of Anthony Gallagher

A third case reported:

Anne Jackson, Caldwell Motherwell of Monglass, sub constable James Love?, Nelly Jackson of St Jo uston? and Joseph Wray of Curry free? County Derry a(gainst) William Jackson the Elder, William Jackson the Younger, Rebecca Jackson, Jane Steele and Mary Jane Gallagher

For that they did at Criche? on the 6th day of April 1847 into a certain dwelling House of one John Motherwell feloniously broke and enter and did then and there feloniously steal from one large cloak valued 2/5, on Mr Qutoste? cloak value 6d, 3 frock coats value 7/6, one body coat value 2/-, 3 pairs of trowsers value 6/-, 3 waistcoats value4/6, one sheet value 6d and one quilt value 6d the goods and chatels of Caldwell Morthewell? Motherwell?

I think it might have been this latest case that really did it for the thieving Jacksons. But I notice the date is April 1847 – think that should have been April 1846 as they were tried in January 1847. I also see another Jackson being mentioned Nelly in County Derry. Wonder what relation she might be?

So where else could I find records for the court case? Let’s try the newspapers – checked back in Dublin at the National library where the newspapers are on microfilm.