The first challenge for 52 ancestors in 2023 is
I’d like to meet
Now in a previous challenge, I wanted to meet Charlotte Bryant, but this year it is her son-in-law I would like to meet
- Where exactly were you born and when?
- Who are your parents?
- Did you know Caroline and her family before you came to Tasmania in 1855?
The basics of what I know about William
He worked at a nursery at Enfield near London before coming to Australia with another family in the sailing ship Fortitude on 15 February 1855. They settled at Monavale in the midlands where he was an estate gardener. He was then employed as gardener at Government House but left to establish a garden south of Granton. After his marriage in 1859 he returned to Government House as Head Gardener then before retirement worked at the Grange Taroona. His son began Chandler’s nursery which still runs in Sandy Bay at the present time. (Mercury 23 July 1985)
I have written a few posts related to William
- Biography of daughter Julia – my great grandmother
- Longevity in my family – William lived to 86 years old
- Short story – fiction based on newspaper
- Short story – is this what William was thinking?
Readers: Which of your relatives would you like to meet and why?